Monday, March 2, 2009

Public Urination

It is definitely time that I address the problem of public urination here in Ghana. No one needs to see you pee in public...Ever! (Well, I could possibly forgive someone who suffered incontinence.) People here are constantly peeing in the road, on the side of the road, on the beach, you name it! And I am not just talking about men, it is women and children, too. You can't go anywhere without seeing a man unzip his pants and just start urinating. The women just lift their dresses and go to town, as well. These people make no attempt to find somewhere even semi-private. It is insanity! The final straw for me was this afternoon when our cab driver just swerved off the side of the highway, got out of the car, and peed right there in front of us!
Okay, enough talk of urine. You would probably rather I update you on what I have been doing. I went to a church service here at Manna Mission on Sunday. I honestly cannot come up with words good enough to describe the experience. I arrived at 9 am.....I left at 12:15 pm, and the service was not even over yet! I decided that 3 hours and 15 minutes was my limit for watching women fall over in the aisles, screaming and shaking frantically. At first I was quite intrigued and entertained, but after a while it got pretty old! I am glad I had the chance to see what a service was like here in Ghana, but I don't think I will be going to another any time soon!
Something must have gotten into me on Sunday, because that evening I made pancakes for everyone for dinner. Yes, I cooked! And it actually tasted good! In case you were wondering, no, I did not set anything on fire. However, by the time I was done, I had pancake batter from head to toe. No shocker there!
In other exciting news, we ran out of water last night. I used a bottle of water to wash my face and brush my teeth last night and this morning. While doing so, I made a promise to never take running water for granted again! I am really looking forward to a shower tonight.
New tidbits:
-There is trash everywhere. You really can't get away from it. People just drop their trash on the side of the streets, or by their shack. It is pretty gross. The sewage system here consists of two and a half foot ditches along some of the roads. They are completely open, and nasty green stuff and trash flow through them. You can also sometimes find a goat walking through there or a child laying in one!
-There is always a fire burning somewhere near. I find this a little disturbing considering it is so hot and dry here. It is a huge brush fire just waiting to happen.
-I go buy bananas and pineapple almost every day from the fruit lady near the hospital. She speaks little English, and every single time I stop by she tells me "long time". I find this very odd, because its often only 24 hrs between visits. I like her, though, because she always grins really widely and puts an extra banana in my bag!
Well, I hope that everyone had a lovely weekend. I leave in 12 days! Time flies! I love and miss ya'll!

Much love,
Leah

No comments: