Friday, March 13, 2009

Mudassi

Mudassi means "thank you" in Twi. I think that it is a pretty appropriate title for today. I am leaving tomorrow, and I feel really thankful for my time here. I am so lucky to have had the chance to come to Ghana. I have had some incredible experiences, and seen many amazing things. There have been several trying times and a couple of bumps in the road, but I wouldn't trade this trip for anything. I have definitely learned a few things about myself. For instance, I really need to have access to air conditioning when its 100 degrees outside, and I have a huge goat phobia. But, in all seriousness, I don't think it is possible to come to a third world country without it changing you in some small ways. And, my visit to Ghana has made me appreciate my family, my friends, my opportunties, and my fridge so much more than I ever could have before!
Sherie and I saw all of the UVA kids off to the airport last night. It was so sad to say goodbye to them. They have become a lot like family, and I know we will both miss them. The house felt so lonely and quiet last night!
We came into work this morning, and then found out that we had the day off. That made me really excited, because there were hardly any patients to see. So, Sherie and I went and had lunch at the resort and then spent some time walking along La Beach. Multiple Ghanaian guys tried to rip us off by making us pay to walk along the beach. We have learned that when a lot of Ghanaians see white skin, they think "stupid" and "money". Sherie and I have grown so tired of people trying to rip us off. Needless to say, after exchanging a few words, we walked along without paying.
I'll be up bright and early tomorrow morning so that I can lounge by the pool before I have to come back and pack in the afternoon. Our flight leaves at 9:55 pm from Accra, so we are leaving for the airport around 6:45 pm. It is about a 6 or 7 hour flight to Amsterdam, and we arrive around 5 am. Then we have a nine hour layover before our flight to Memphis, which leaves at 1:30 pm. From there, it is a ten hour flight to Memphis. After a short layover there, we will finally be back in Mobile around 9 pm on Sunday. First thing on my agenda when I get home....SHOWER!!
Alright, I'm off to buy some fruit to go with the delicious pancakes I am making for dinner. I hope everyone is doing well. I can't wait to see you when I get back!

Much love,
Leah

No comments: