Monday, March 9, 2009

Big Hugs

Personally, I think that nothing is better than a really big hug! And, big hugs is just what I have been getting recently. I got to spend Thursday at an orphanage hanging out with about 50 children. It was by far the most wonderful and meaningful experience I have had here in Ghana. The minute I walked through the door, I was bombarded (literally) with hugs from children ranging in age from 1 to 15. They were all so sweet and lovely. They loved playing with my hair and my camera. It was really wonderful to see them all so happy. However, it was definitely very humbling and somewhat sad. I couldn't help but think how lucky I was to have loving and supportive parents. The children at the orphanage had beautiful faces and wonderful personalities, and they are all a victim of circumstance. They deserve just as much as me, or anyone else, to have a family to take care of them. I was glad that I was able to listen to them and give them some much needed affection, even if it was for just a little while.
Sherie and I went over to Manna Mission School on Friday to buy some fabric, and the children there were having their morning recess. All of the school children in Ghana wear uniforms. The Manna uniforms are red and white checks, and the kids look like a little sea of red and white running around everywhere. I decided to take a few minutes and interact with the kids, who were immediately enamored with me because of my light skin and hair. I bent down to talk with one of the little girls, and I asked her to give me a hug. When the other kids heard this, they immediately ran to me and suddenly I was in the middle of a group hug with about 30 six year olds. It was the sweetest thing, and it gave me the greatest feeling! It totally made my day!
After playing with the kids for a bit, we went to the pool at La Palm Resort. It was Ghana's Independce Day and the pool was packed. I always have a fabulous time reading and sipping drinks by the pool, and Friday was no different!
On Saturday morning, the whole crew woke up early and we left for Cape Coast around 5:30 am. We had quite a bit of trouble getting the cab driver to take us to the correct tro-tro station. We always make a point of asking the cab drivers before we get in if they know how to get to the place we are going. They inevitably ALWAYS tell you yes. Then, about 15 mintues into the drive, they always turn to you and say, "tell me which way to go". This is beyond frustrating. How are we supposed to know how to get around the crazy dirt roads in Ghana?!
We finally made it to Cape Coast around 9:30 am. Sherie and I spent the day laying by the pool and the ocean. It was really sunny and really hot. By 3:30 or so, we both realized that we were burnt to a crisp, so we went back to our hotel and sat by the ocean and had drinks. We had dinner there, and I managed to stuff down an entire pizza and an order of french fries. During dinner, we watched some tradional African dancers. After dinner, we went to the nightclub upstairs from the restaurant. Apparently, it is the best place to go in Cape Coast. We had a blast dancing with the Ghanaians!
The place that we stayed was on the beach, but was far from glamorous. There was one communal shower outside and two outside toilets. We crammed four people into our dirty room with two sleeping on the floor. It was an interesting experience for me. I'll leave it at that.
We came back from Cape Coast on Sunday and Sherie and I went to the La Trade Fair. It is basically like a big flea market. Soon after we got there, the sky fell out and it began raining incredibly hard. Sherie and I got soaked! I was dripping wet and my feet and legs were nasty from tromping through ankle high water (think rain water mixed with sewage) in flip flops. It was actually really fun, though!
The power was out for most of the night last night when we got home. We also ran out of water again, but luckily I had already taken a shower!
I am super excited because I am starting my final week of medical school today! I can't believe it. I have been so caught up thinking about Ghana and Match Day, that it had not occured to me that I will officially be done with med school on Friday! I am also really looking forward to coming home. Only five days until I leave!
-Health Update: I am feeling pretty well, especially in comparison to most of the others here. Sherie and one other girl have malaria. Two girls have typhoid fever. I just want to stay healthy until Saturday!
I hope that you are all doing well. I love you and miss you!

Much love,
Leah

No comments: