Saturday, February 28, 2009

Malaria Free is the Way To Be!

Super dorky title, I know, but I am in a super dorky mood today! The good news of the day is that I don't have malaria. I started feeling bad last night when I went to bed, and I didn't sleep at all. I felt really crappy this morning and was having some dull achy pains in my stomach and back. Dr. Akosua insisted that I get tested for malaria. I went over to the lab and Prosper was nice enough to test me, even though the lab was closed for the day. I was a giant baby when he stuck me to get blood, and I screamed. The Ghanaian people here are very stoic, especially the women, so he got a good laugh!
Sherie and I kept with our plans and went to the resort after work yesterday. It was heavenly to lay by the pool all afternoon and drink tequila sunrises. I spent most of my time in the water because it was so hot, but I was able to finish yet another book. After the sun went down, we got dressed up and headed to dinner. Sherie laughed at me when I came out of the bathroom wearing a dress and heels, with my hair and make-up done. We had dinner at the resorts open air restaurant on the ocean. It was super nice, by Ghanaian standards, and we had a great time. I ordered grilled chicken, and was super excited about it, until I got it and realized it was all dark meat. I tried to eat it, but all I could think of were the nasty chickens clucking along the side of the road here. So, I devoured every last one of my french fries! I felt so sorry for our cab driver on the way back home after dinner. It is about a 35 minute drive, and he had to listen to Sherie and I singing along to my ipod at the top of our lungs the entire way back. I felt so bad for him that we almost paid him extra just for putting up with us, but he didn't seem too upset.
I had the chance to go to a Ghanaian wedding this afternoon. It was supposed to start at 12:30, but didn't really start until about 1:30, which is totally typical here. It was held inside the church here at Manna Mission. The service was really long, but I had a fabulous time! I couldn't help but think the whole time how much Corie would have enjoyed seeing it. There was lots of music, dancing, singing, and worshiping. It was such a different experience from a regular American wedding. There were people raising their arms in praise, people dancing down the aisles, and people shouting out good wishes at the couple throughout the ceremony. I am sure that some Americans would have found this to be rude, but I thought it was an energetic and delightful experience!
We have plans to go into Osu tomorrow to browse and shop. We will probably have a low key night tonight since Sherie and I lived it up last night!
Assorted thoughts for today:
-If you walk out and about on the dirt roads after dark, you can see tons of little children stripped down naked and taking their daily bath with a bucket and a cloth outside their shacks.
-They sell hair weave on the side of the street everywhere. It cracks me up.
Anyways, I hope that everyone is having a nice weekend. I love and miss ya'll!

Much love,
Leah

No comments: