Thursday, February 26, 2009

WOOHOO!!

I cannot contain my excitement today! Sherie and I moved back into our downstairs room last night. I literally jumped up and down when I got back in there. The air conditioning actually works and the bed is fabulous! And, I had the day off and got to sleep until 10:00!
We went into Accra today and I spent some time shopping and changed some money.
Today was the first day that I have felt harrassed by anyone here. For some reason, Ghanaian men were constantly annoying me today. I was really suprised, because everyone has been so respectful the whole time I have been here. Luckily, my friend Adam (from UVA) was with us and was very nice to help me out. Hopefully, I won't have any more bad experiences like that!
I am going back to work at Tema tomorrow. After work, Sherie and I have plans to go to one of the resorts and lay by the pool and then have our very first nice dinner since we left the states! I am super excited about decent food, and the posibility of having meat for the first time since I left!
Okay, I must include my random assortment of thoughts for the day:
-In order to get your attention, or tell you to "come here", the Ghanaians make a strange hissing noise. The first time I heard it I was totally freaked out. It is sort of like a mix between a snake hiss and cat hiss. It is not meant to be rude, it is just their way of doing things. However, I don't think I will ever get used to it!
-Every shop, building, or car here has a religious name on it. It is actually rather humorous! For example: In His Name Cold Foods, God is Love Furniture, Praise the Lord Salon, Jesus Almighty Cab, or my personal favorite, God Never Sleeps Convenience Store!
I know my post is a little short today, but I am in a hurry because I have very important business to attend to. That is, I found fingernail polish and a fingernail file at the grocery store today, and I must go do my nails. I haven't had a manicure in weeks, and one is desperately needed! :) I already had do give up my hair dryer and makeup, so give me a break!
I miss all of you so very much. I cannot wait to show my pictures and share my stories from Ghana with you. Hopefully, over some delicious food and wine!

Much love,
Leah

No comments: