Thursday, February 19, 2009

Obruni

Obruni?!....Yep! That's my new name. Obruni means "white person" in Twi. The Ghanaian children LOVE to yell it and wave, or even run up to greet me. It is not said or meant in a rude way at all. It is quite humorous, actually! After all, there are hardly any white people here, so I can understand the fascination.
I didn't have to work today, so I took the chance to head into La and Osu for some sightseeing and shopping. I won't bore you with the exact details of what I did, but there are several things I would like to share about my trip thus far in Ghana:
-There are goats and chickens running around EVERYWHERE! Literally...everywhere. I have seen a total of four dogs and one cat since I have been here, but I have seen hundreds of goats and chickens. The goats really creep me out. They just walk along the side of the road, or lay on the dirt, smacking their nasty little goat tongues! Sherie thinks I should bring one back as a pet. I totally disagree! The worst ones are the pregnant females. The seriously look like they swallowed a giant egg and it got lodged sideways in their stomach...gross! Ok, enough of my goat rant, on to more interesting things.
-All of the Ghanaian women carry their babies and toddlers by tying them to their back with a big piece of colorful cloth (that often matches their dress). The little babies are so cute with their round little heads bobbing around while their mothers go about their business. Sherie is obsessed with this practice, and is desperate to find a lady who will let her carry their baby on her back for a bit. I can't wait to get a photo!
-I have given up on drying my hair and wearing make-up. It is totally useless to do either. I have also given up on lotion. It is to hot and it gets all slimy. My post-shower lotion routine has now been replaced with my 98% DEET bug spray routine.
-The women, and a lot of the men, here carry tons of things on top of their heads! It is amazing to see how much stuff they can carry without dropping anything, or falling over. I have yet to see anyone drop anything. I can't even walk down a paved, flat, straight road without busting my ass!
-My little love, Emerson, is totally racking up on the gifts! No offense, but I have yet to buy anything for anyone but her. I love her so much, and she is so much fun to buy for! Maybe I will get around to buying the rest of my friends and family some souveniers (spelling?) soon. If you have any special requests please let me know. I personally want to smuggle a fat little Ghanaian baby for myself!
Okay, those are all the tidbits I can think of to share right now. Plus, I need to go shower. We have decided to go to the beach tomorrow after work. Then, we will go to the Cape Coast for Saturday and head back on Sunday.
I think I am finally settling in here in the third world. I remain homesick, but I am really starting to love it here. I can't even begin to describe how wonderful the Ghanaians are! I appreciate all of their kidness and hospitality. I have had trouble putting photos on the blog, but I will try again today.
I love you and miss you all.

Much love,
Leah

2 comments:

medailey said...

Leah,
I am living vicariously through you. I am so jealous of all your travels lately. I do need an update of your Costa Rica trip!!! I hope to see you soon when you get home. Have a wonderful time. I will be reading your blog daily.

Love
Meghan

Leah said...

Meghan,
It is so good to hear from you! We definitely have to get together when I get back, and I can give you a full report about my Costa Rica trip! I hope that you are doing well and aren't working to hard! I can't wait to see ya when I return.
Love,
Leah