Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday

I cannot even begin to describe how upset I was when I realized, after I booked my trip to Ghana, that I would be missing Mardi Gras....every single bit of it!! I miss the beads, the beer, the balls....I could go on and on! But, hopefully, I will be right in the middle of it next year in New Orleans!
It has been a really long time since I posted, and I almost don't even know where to begin. I suppose I should start by getting everyone up to speed on what I've been up to the past couple of days.
Sherie, Andrew, and I visited the Cape Coast this weekend as planned. We took a bus from Accra and it took about two and a half hours. We stayed in a hotel with air conditioning, which I will admit was initially at my insistence. However, the others ended up being SUPER GRATEFUL that we had A/C. Never mind that the bathroom smelled like stale urine or that the floor had never, ever been cleaned...all we cared about was the cool air! The Cape Coast was the epicenter of the exportation of slaves during the slave trade, and we got to visit the castle and dungeons where the slaves used to be held. It was a really neat experience, but it was very sad and humbling. We were able to eat lunch and dinner on the beach, which made me delirously happy! On Sunday we went to Kakum National Forest and did a canopy walk at the top of the rainforest.
Dr. Akosua arranged for Sherie and I to work at Tema Regional Hospital, which is about 45 minutes from Teshie, this week. It is a referral center and has a large pediatric ward. I have had an incredible time working there for the past two days. I have gotten to see tons of really interesting peds patients and I love it! I have been able to do rounds on the patients and help out with procedures. I am inserting a thank you to Mama and Daddy in here for suffering selflessly by teaching me to start IV's and then letting me practice on them. It has been a huge help, because all of the doctors drawn their own blood and start their own IV's. I have seen so many things in my short two days: TB, cerebral malaria, pseudomonas meningitis, scalded skin sydrome, HIV, and the list goes on!
We got off of work early today and went to the pool at one of the two resorts in La, which is about 30 minutes away. I have decided that all of the white people in Ghana are located at these two resorts. It was blissful to lay be the pool, read my latest book, listen to my ipod, and have drinks!
Of course I can't post a blog without including some random thoughts:
-Sherie told me this weekend that I am starting to look "very hispanic". I thought she was exagerating a little, but once I took a good look in the mirror, I decided she was right. The sun is constantly out in Ghana and I am frequently outside. I will probably return to the states looking like a Ghanaian.
-A Ghanaian lady told me yesterday afternoon that I was "really stubborn". I am sure my parents will get a kick out of hearing that one!
-My worst nightmare in Ghana has officially come true....a lizard crawled in my bed!! Yes, Michelle, I know that you like lizards, but I DO NOT! This one was very small, like two inches, compared to the really long ones that crawl around everywhere. However, I found this even more disturbing because it may be a baby, with siblings, and parents, and cousins, and grandparents, that may decide to slither across me while I sleep! It gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it!
-The other kids are now attempting to plot a way to put a goat in my room. I have vowed to kill them if they do!
-The cashier at the Ghanaian grocery store tried to set me up with her half brother (half white/half Ghanaian) yesterday as I was buying groceries. She left her register to go hunt him down and bring him to me. I politely declined.
I could probably go on and on with my many scattered thoughts, but I will leave it there for now! I am missing everyone more than ever and I still love hearing from you. Having a phone here has been awesome. It always brightens my day to get texts or talk to people! I hope that you are all doing well. 18 days until I leave Ghana!

Much love,
Leah

No comments: