Friday, February 20, 2009

Happy Friday

I am in the greatest mood! I worked in the lab today, which just so happens to be air conditioned!! I actually got cold...I had forgotten what that felt like. The guys that work in the lab, Prosper and Isaac, are awesome! We spent the day talking and listening to American music on the radio that they always play. Apparently, we all share a liking for Jay Z, Nelly, and Beyonce. They really wanted to hear me sing, which I had to explain would be quite the painful experience. Then, they begged to get me to dance. I then explained to them the concept of "booty dancing", and they thought I was hilarious. We diagnosed several cases of malaria and typhoid fever, in addition to more common things like anemia and UTI's. Prosper is going to take Sherie and I next weekend to pound fufu (a Ghanaian bread-like food) and to tie his friend's babies to our backs like the Ghanaian women do. I am so excited! I am sure that sounds lame to some of you who have TV, Mardi Gras, Wii, and Bars, but it should be quite eventful for those of us hanging out in the third world!! :)
Sherie and I had to move from our room downstairs with a king bed to a room upstairs with a bunkbead. There is apparently a married couple who are coming to stay for week, so we got kicked out of the big bed. So, we hauled all of our stuff up the two flights of stairs this morning before work. I am looking forward to returning to our original room, although I am not exactly looking to moving my stuff again.
We are still planning on leaving for the Cape Coast in the morning. I'm looking forward to hanging out and going on a canopy walk. It will just be Sherie, Andrew, and I, and I am sure it will be an interesting experience. Andrew will probably freak out if I try to drink a beer on the beach, just like he did when I accidentally said a cuss word. But I am sure Sherie and I will have a blast, regardless.
I have a few more random thoughts today:
-I forgot how great it is to be able to barter for everything you buy. You can't really bargain at the legitimate grocery store in town, or at a restaurant (there are very few around) , but everything else is pretty much fair game!
-There are lots of lizards here. They scurry around everywhere. I'm terrified that one is going to jump on me!
I still can't put pictures up, so maybe I will try to email some out. I am headed off to the pool! I love and miss you all!

Much love,
Leah

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey Obruni, aka white girl! It sounds like you are having a great time. Cant wait to see some pictures. Ps I love lizards, bring me one ;)

Leah said...

Hey Mitch! Please specify what color and length of lizard you would like and I will see what I can do! ;) I hope that you are doing wonderfully. I miss you!