Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Laundry List

The title of this blog is appropriate for two reasons. First of all, I spent over an hour last night handwashing my laundry in the kitchen sink, then wringing it out, and hanging it to dry. I rather enjoyed the task at first, but after about twenty minutes I decided I would rather just wear dirty clothes and stink than continue! I pressed on, however, so I won't run anyone off with my smell. Secondly, I am in the process of compiling a laundry list of things that I want when I get back to the states. I am including it below. It is in no particular order except for the first thing on the list.
-Mexican food with lots of cheese dip, air conditioning, a washing machine, TCBY, a giant filet with mashed potatoes and asparagus, bananas foster bread pudding (only to be had in New Orleans, of course), diet dr. pepper, a shower that I don't have to wear flip flops in, a glass of good red wine, and last (but not least) lots of hugs from everyone (I'm feeling a little affection deprived). I am sure that I will add to that list as time goes, but those are definitely the biggest things.
I spent the day working at Tema in the outpatient pediatric department. I had tons of fun with the kids, except for one little boy who would scream every time I looked at him! Some of today's cases included malnutrition, pneumonia, a newly diagnosed VSD (I was the first to pick up the murmur!), malaria, and schistomiasis. I like the OPD, but I will be glad to be back on the wards on Friday.
Sherie and I get to move back to our original, and decently air conditioned, room tonight. We are so thrilled! We have been sleeping in the stiffling heat on terrible matresses, so we couldn't be any more excited. Of course, this will involve both of us packing up all of our crap and hauling it back down the stairs. For normal people, this might be a simple task. But, for us self-proclaimed slobs, it is going to take FOREVER.
We are going into Accra with Sam and Alex tomorrow, as we have the day off from work. On Saturday, Prosper (the lab guy) is going to take us to his friends house to tie babies to our backs and to make FuFu, a traditional Ghanaian food. We are also going to a wedding on Saturday. I have no clue whose wedding it is, but it is on the grounds of Manna so we kindly invited ourselves!
My rank list has officially been completed and certified, as today is the deadline to send it in. Now we start the countdown to Match Day! I can't wait to spend the day with my family and friends and find out where I will be for residency. You all know exactly where I want to be, so no need for me even to have to tell you my number one!! It is only three weeks away! I can't believe I leave here in 17 days. Time is starting to fly by!
New random tidbits for the day:
-You can literally buy anything from the side of the road here in Ghana. Seriously, even the most random stuff. There are people selling tv's, water, plantains, chairs, rugs, manicure kits, coffins, couches, shoes, used clothing, and tons of other things! It is totally crazy, but makes for an interesting car ride.
-I believe I have no seen every type of barnyard animal roaming around the streets. Pigs, cows, sheep, goats, chickens, ducks, and I could go on.
-Most people here drink water out of little plastic pouches. It has been filtered, and it is cheaper than buying it out of a bottle. I find it weird to drink out of a pouch, so I always squeeze mine into a bottle.
-The roads here are almost always dirt, and never have markings. There is rarely EVER a street sign, and at this point I am not even sure if there are driving laws! People here drive like mad men. They weave from one side of the bumpy road to the other, they pass at awful times, and they never use blinkers. One thing they do use, though, is their horn! They honk at anything and everything...and sometimes even nothing!
-I am continually amazed at how rude the doctors here can be to the patients. Many of them have little patience, and a saucy attitude. I can't imagine getting away with some of the stuff they say to the patients!
That is all for today, I suppose. I love and miss all of you, and look forward to seeing you in two and a half weeks!

Much love,
Leah

2 comments:

Corie said...

Hey,
I will gladly eat Mexican and give you lots of hugs when you get back! And if you start to miss the third world, we can take a trip to my house. There are lots of goats and dirt roads there:)
love you
corie

Leah said...

Hey! I was so excited to see your post. I can't wait to see you when I get back! I would love a trip to your house, but only if you promise to keep the goats away! I love you so much!
Leah